Friday, November 17, 2017

Playing the Flute
by Anita Bhattarai
15 November 2017


Every evening I play the flute for an hour at the Spiny Babbler Art Gallery. I start at 5:30 and end at 6:30. When I play the flute, many people walking along the road hear me and look at me playing the flute.

Once when I played the national anthem, a man brought a small baby into the art gallery and asked the child to listen to me. They liked to hear me playing the flute and they asked me many things.

They asked me, what the name of my school was. They asked me my name. They asked me who teaches me how to play the flute. They took pictures and video of me playing the flute.

Since they were so interested, I also played Resham Firiri, Kalilo Tama lai, Phool ko Aankhama also. They were very focused while I played Phool ko Aankhama and listened to me playing the lessons 1 to 12. I was so happy that they were so interested in what I was doing. He asked how much my flute cost and I answered all the questions that they had.

My music teacher’s name is Dhana Gurung who himself is a professional flutist who performs live with international musicians, records at the studios, and has travelled to other countries to perform music. He is a good teacher and he takes our classes on Monday and Friday.

However, we do some extra work. I make sure I play music on my own for at least an hour and we have an hour’s music class every day from 9 to 10 even when Dhana sir is not there. When it’s music class we focus a lot because all of us are really into music. I am so happy when I play music, I love playing the flute.

No comments:

Post a Comment