Thursday, April 13, 2017

Woman Cutting Nails

by Nitya Poudel

On 18 January 2016, we went to Rudravarna Mahavihar. Utkrishta, Shaswat, Kusma and I were told to complete our blogs there, while at the same time our other friends were told to make the artwork of that place. We saw one barber cutting the hair and one woman cutting nails inside the temple. We wanted to know what they were doing and why they were doing it. I took a small interview with a man sitting in the sun and waiting for his turn to cut the hair.

Me: What is your name?
Man: Okil Raj Shakya.
Me: What are you here for?
Man: Tomorrow there is a jatra and a bratabanda program. The boys have to cut their hair and ask other people to contribute something. They are going to do this for 4 days. This is Buddhist culture. As all Buddhist have to cut hair they are also cutting the hair.
Me: Thank You for the information.
Man: Your welcome.

I also interviewed the girl who was cutting the nails.

Me: Can I take your Interview?
Girl: Sure.
Me: What’s your name?
Girl: Radha.
Me: How long have you ben doing this work?
Girl: I started to do this work when I was 11 years old and now I am 47. It is not difficult. She said that everyone who was doing the chuda karma or bratabanda had to cut the hair and their nails. They can cut the nails before cutting the hair and also after cutting the hair. There is no such rule for the time.
I said thank you and ended the conversation.


She was very polite and talked with us very nicely. She has done this work for more than 36 years. I think that the man who was cutting the hair of people was her husband. She had a daughter who kept talking to her I think that it hurts a lot when cut the nails using such weapon. The weapon from which she was cutting the nails was long, like a small knife but it was not pointy and sharp. The antiseptic she was putting after cutting the nails was red in color and it was used by old generation people. I am very happy that this is used till today. I saw her put only little antiseptic. She said that you don’t need too much antiseptic to put in someone’s leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment